Search This Blog

Saturday 23 May 2015

A Diary Entry called "A Concatenation of Cataclysms"

A Concatenation of Cataclysms

Yesterday I had mild, sporadic tinnitus in my blocked, hearing-impaired right ear, which was kind of annoying and made me slightly anxious that some permanent damage might be being inflicted. That night when I went to bed, I had a clogged nose and my ear was still blocked and squealing quietly. Since my sinusitis and shitty ears were starting to really agitate me, I decided I would do something about it: I hence started blowing snot out of my right nostril like nobody's business in a (probably) quixotic attempt to clear out my sinuses and thereby unblock my right ear. I was holding my nostril open with my left index finger and blowing furiously, depositing the sticky snot on my sheets (why not?). Eventually, after maybe half an hour, it did seem like I had unblocked my ear somewhat, but then, maybe as a result of this, that ear started to hurt like hell. The pain was very intense. I couldn't rest on that ear because it was so sore. It kind of felt like all the nerves were exposed to the air or something. It was a really terrific ache. I tried to rest with only my left ear on the pillow to get to sleep, but I am used to constantly changing sides when I sleep and the forced stasis was putting me off my routine. Consequently, more than two hours passed with me unable to get any shut-eye. Finally, at 12:20pm, I decided to temporarily give up on the possibility of sleeping and instead go searching in the kitchen for some kind of painkiller to allay the ache. There I found some Panadol and took two tablets. I don't know if the Panadol worked, but I do know I got to sleep about ten minutes after I returned to bed post-pills and in the morning the ache was gone. 
My ear was still blocked, though, and the hearing was still impaired. Oh, and the mild, sporadic tinnitus was still there. 
I spent this morning mostly doing my French essay (as well as watching the last few episodes of Season Cinco of T & E Awesome Show Great Job! and various other things that I often do on Saturdays (eating cereal, doing ablutions, drinking coffee that my dad made and eating the pastry that he had bought that morning, as he often does on Saturdays or Sundays, staring out the window in the study, going on Facebook for no reason, etc)) and my ear didn't improve. As soon as I had gotten up, my dad had recommended that I phone up the Fox Valley Medical Centre about my ear and book an appointment at 8 O'clock on the dot so I could get in early. I did in fact carry out this recommendation, phoning them up at precisely 8am (according to my mum's laptop, which was sitting on the bench open), but the call went straight to their answering machine because, as the recorded message informed me, they are not open on Saturdays. I should have known this, of course, considering that the Fox Valley Medical Centre is a part of the Sydney Adventist Hospital (or “San”), which is a Seventh Day Adventist-run institution, and Seventh Day Adventists are those whackos who observe the sabbath on a Saturday for fuck knows why and are also vegetarians, I think (I am fairly sure of the latter fact because I used to always go to the San Carols by Candlelight and always get the Nachos they sold and they were always made with kidney beans instead of mince and I think my mum explained to me why when I asked once). Anyway, after the Fox Valley Medical Centre plan fell through, I had only one other medical option: the place at Hornsby. However, even though I wasn’t aware that that practice doesn’t take bookings until about 11:30am of this morning, when my mum told me, I didn't want to phone up or go there because I couldn't be fucked and because I found it slightly daunting (I am lazy and very shy). 
My parents went out at around 12, I think (I don't know where and I didn't ask). At that point, I knew I had about an hour and a half till I had to leave for my soccer game (which was at 3pm at St Johns Oval), and I resolved that I would try to finish my French essay before I left. I slowly worked my way through the essay, and had just reached the end of my third body paragraph at 1:12, I think it was, when I suddenly realised that I had to start getting ready for my soccer game. For the next 18 minutes, I frantically ran around the house gathering underpants and my soccer gear, and then some shinpads, and then a water bottle, and my wallet, and the car key. And then I was ready. I slipped into my Vans for driving, and – with a water bottle, wallet and pair of car keys in hand – I walked out of the door, then locked the door, then got into the car. Thereupon, I realised I ought to check that the game I thought was on was in fact the one on, not last week's game, and that I had got the time and ground right. Therefore, cursing and self-castigating like an old trooper, I went back towards the door, unlocked it, ran to my dad's (/the family's) Mac, frenetically clicked on the mouse, found that he had turned the computer off (as per usual, ever since he was told by some imbecile that leaving the previous one on too long was one of the reasons for its failure), and then ran upstairs towards the study and my laptop. I flipped up my bad boy's recently flipped-down lid, rapidly entered the password (making sure I pressed the dodgy keys very hard and verifying that they registered as black dots on the screen), and then, once logged in, clicked on the fortunately still open Hotmail tab, found the relevant Email, saw that the date was correct and that I had got the time and ground right. I thus ran back to the car, hopped in, and began the slow and torturous process of manoeuvring the Alfa – with its tiny fucking turning circle – out of the top part of the driveway, where there were numerous obstacles, including the Subaru, parked right next to it. Eventually, I completed this and, after bumping my way over a felled, gibbous branch of one of those weird Palm trees that our neighbours on the left planted, I was off. On my way, from misery to happiness today. Listening to Tchaikovsky with one ear. And so forth. 
All was fairly pleasant and uneventful until I emerged from the Lane Cove Tunnel and was cruising along the M1 towards the city, whereupon I suddenly had the most harrowing revelation: I DIDN’T PACK MY SOCCER BOOTS IN THE CAR. 'Shit', I thought, 'Just my fucking luck'. You see, this stuff seems to happen to me all the fucking time. I am really no good at being an adult. Almost every time I have gone to a soccer training or game, I have managed to fuck up in one way or another. I am also chronically absentminded, and this is confirmed to me every time I have to take multiple things to some event. God knows how many times over my entire school career I forgot some important item and then either had to tell my dad to turn around the car when we were already half-way to the station, or get my mum to move heaven and earth for it to be delivered to me when I was already at school. Jesus. And my dad has even tried to teach my how not to forget to take  things. This is what made my forgetting of my soccer boots even more ignominiously improbable: I was even cognisant of his main prescription, that I should make a list of the stuff I needed in my head, when I was gathering my soccer stuff! Yes, that's right, and I still didn't put the boots in the car! No wonder I couldn't help thinking (and only half-facetiously) that, after all the bad luck that seemed to plague me last year, God actually hated me, and was smiting me once again. Either that, or I had a problem.
I quickly considered not turning back and instead hedging my bets that someone would have a second pair of boots. But I reasoned that even if Olly did bring two of his many pairs of boots, they probably wouldn't fit, and despite the tremendous hassle it would be heading back to Wahroonga, it was probably the only sensible option. Given that I was on the M1, however, doing a U-turn was out of the question. And so, with a mind now flooded with adrenaline, anger, frustration and various other, more complex emotions, I knew I had to recalibrate my route fast. And so I did. I decided to take the North Sydney exit, and thus headed into the furthest left lane in anticipation of the exit. The clock was ticking, the petrol gauge was looking more ominous, everything was bad.
Seeing as everything was bad, I decided to try to think of ways of thinking that might console me. I proposed that the farce I was currently embroiled in was perhaps ‘character-building’, finding the cliche grimly funny in the situation. ‘It is the kind of thing that will make me who I am, who I am tomorrow will be a legacy of this debacle,’ I said to myself, in a fine example of gallows humour. Naturally, the logical part of me rejected these sentiments soon after they came to me, and wondered aloud to myself what "character-building" even meant. Nevertheless, my mind didn't produce many more interesting thoughts than that (except the brief fancy that we probably live in a deterministic universe and I therefore had no choice in the matter, which I also dismissed). And yet, I still tried to console myself. I reasoned that it was perhaps better that I wouldn't have to start the game, given that I was ill and probably incapacitated in some way, and was probably lacking my normal stamina. I also recognised that I probably wouldn't be vituperated by coach for my lateness considering that I would be able to excuse myself (and he probably wouldn't get angry even if I couldn't). These thoughts were slightly consoling, even though the idea that I had wasted half an hour of driving and therefore petrol for nothing, and would waste another half hour going back home in dense traffic, before heading all the way back out again, was incalculably exasperating. 
Anyhow, I eventually made it back to Wahroonga a little after 2:30, according to the Alfa clock. Once at 23 Strone Ave, I parked the car in the middle of the driveway, yanked up the handbrake, turned the car off, sprinted towards the front door, unlocked it, ran inside the house, picked up my boots, locked the door, then ran back towards the car, threw the boots in, hopped in the driver's seat and began the long manoeuvre out (I thought where I had parked would help me get out but I was mistaken). Eventually, I was out of the driveway and back on the road, ready for a frustrating journey back to the city, with a clock ticking towards 3 and a petrol gauge looking worse and worse.
It was 10 past 3 on the Alfa clock when I finally reached Sydney Uni. I pulled up alongside the St Johns gate, which I immediately saw was locked, and then looked at the field: to my horror, no one was there. The nets weren't on the goals, and the place was deserted. Completely empty. And about 50 metres away from me, I saw a sign: "Oval closed".
'You are actually kidding me, God,' I thought. I haven't bothered to charge my phone for the last week or so, so maybe I would have known about the closure if I had been a normal person, but this fact didn't in any way alleviate the almost cataclysmic misfortune I felt. Fortunately, I was able to control my emotions, for the most part. I decided that the worst moment had been the one where I realised I had forgotten my boots, and that it was definitely good in some sense that I didn't have to force my infirm body through any great strain. I was disturbed by the thought that my team might be playing elsewhere, but I resolved to banish that from my mind. Nevertheless, one terrible thought did persist: all the driving had been for nothing. Absolutely nothing. All the stress, all the preparation, all the time, all the petrol, it had all been totally pointless.
Even this was surmountable, though, because I did have one idea for how to make the journey not completely otiose: I would get some petrol and a packet of chips from the servo twenty metres up the road. That way, I could at least feel that my massive, arduous trip could almost have been a normal journey to the servo, for a fill-up and a snack. It was not true, but the fantasy did console me, somehow. And the drive back was actually quite nice, complemented nicely by the Red Rock Deli Honey Soy Chicken chips and some soothing music. 
But I still have a fucked right ear.     

No comments:

Post a Comment